Application for a scholarship
An application for a scholarship can be made informally. To apply for a scholarship, write in a letter (in German or English) to the scholarship commission what type of scholarship you would like to apply for and why you would like to receive this scholarship. A Curriculum vitae (CV) with information about school education and previous studies has to be enclosed with this letter. In addition, the following documents are necessary depending on the type of scholarship:
- proof of basic knowledge of German (for example German language certificate of a Goethe-Institute, if possible at A2 level);
- proof of a successfully completed undergraduate theology study (bachelor level): Copy of the original and a notarized translation into German or English;
- a letter of recommendation from the responsible local bishop.
- successful participation in the language course in Paderborn or proof of a comparably high linguistic level;
- proof of a successfully completed theological graduate study (master level): Copy of the original and a notarized translation into German or English;
- brief description of the research project of the candidate;
- letter of recommendation from the responsible local bishop.
- successful participation in the language course in Paderborn or proof of the passed DSH examination;
- proof of a successfully completed graduate theology study (master level): Copy of the original and a notarized translation into German or English;
- detailed description of the study project;
- letter of recommendation from the responsible local bishop;
- letters of recommendation of two professors from the home country with whom the candidate has studied;
- declaration of readiness of a professor at a German Catholic faculty of theology to take over supervision during the study in Germany.
An application is possible for only one type of scholarship. Scholarship applications must always be submitted in writing and are to be sent to the following address:
Stipendienkommission der Arbeitsgruppe “Kirchen des Ostens”
Dr. Johannes Oeldemann
Leostr. 19 a
The languages courses in Paderborn usually begin on 1st September every year. Applications for linguistic scholarships must be submitted by 31st of March of the same year.
Applications for research scholarships and post-graduate scholarships can be submitted at any time, nevertheless, applications for post-graduate scholarships must be submitted at least 6 months before the intended starting date of study, applications for research scholarships at least 3 months before the intended study time.
The scholarship commission of the German Catholic Bishops’ Conference decides on the granting of the scholarship. Applicants will be informed of the result in writing.